We want all of our packaging to be easy to recycle and we’re aiming for 80% by 2020. We are currently at 71% which we’re really pleased about. Our next steps include tackling trickier plastics, such as film and ready meal trays, and we’re hard at work. Whilst we’ve made some great progress, there’s more to do and we need to keep innovating.
Some of our hero recycling innovations to look for in store include
- Our meat product packaging, it’s now made with a single material so can be recycled easily
- Our milk bottle top colours are a lighter shade, this makes them easier to recycle
- Our pizza bases are all cardboard, not polystyrene
- Our own-brand straws are paper not plastic
- Our Irresistible tomato packaging is cardboard not plastic
- Our mushroom pots are blue, not black, so they can be recycled easily too
- We also stock compostable carrier bags in selected stores in England and Scotland. They can be used to carry shopping home and then within food waste caddies and bins.